Since school is back in session, I have noticed sickness is spreading about. This time of year Josh comes down with some kind of virus and well then that means I will too. Now with that in mind its time to put my herbs to use. First on my list is Oregano. Making oil of oregano can be very beneficial. Since it is such a powerful medicinal herb it is almost essential to have in my medicine cabinet. You can easily buy it on Amazon.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Oregano is a natural anti-inflammatory.
- Oregano is a natural pain-killer.
- Great topical ointment for arthritis, carpel tunnel, bursitis and sore muscles.
- Since it’s a natural pain-killer, it’s great for migraines and sinus headaches.
- Breathing in the oil scent will help alleviate nasal congestion.
- Extracts toxins from the body therefore neutralizing insect stings and bug bites.
- Oregano can be used as a treatment for typical burns. Apply oil lightly to get instant pain relief and so blisters will not form.
- Placing oil of oregano around the outside of the ear canal (do not place oil inside directly) will help fight off ear infections.
- Rubbing diluted oil of oregano on a sore tooth will help alleviate pain.
- Taken internally oil of oregano will help weaken viruses.
- Kills fungi and bacteria.
- Powerful remedy for ache once applied on the skin.
HOW TO MAKE OIL OF OREGANO
The ratio for making oil of oregano is 1:1. Pretty simple. Since I only had enough of oregano to make up 1/2 cup that is what I used. 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup oregano leaves that have been rinsed, dried and chopped or crushed. The fresh oregano must be completely dry of excess water, otherwise you risk the growth of mold or cause the oil to go rancid.
OIL OF OREGANO MADE AT HOME RECIPE
- Olive oil, Almond oil or Grape seed oil
- Oregano leaves chopped or crushed
- Sanitized Jar with lid
- Sunny Window
- I boiled some water in sauce pan. Once that was at rolling boil I turned off the heat.
- Then placed the oil and chopped oregano leaves in the sanitized jar.
- Place the jar into the hot water and let it sit for about 5-10 min. This allows the oil to heat up and helps give the oregano a kick start of the releasing of its oils.
- Now remove the jar from the water bath and place in a sunny window for 1-2 weeks.
- Shake the jar every few days.
- Once the two weeks is up strain the oil from the leaves.
- Place into a sanitized jar.
- Store the oil in a dark, cool place.
A little tip on how to preserve the oil is to add in a few drops of grapefruit seed essential oil.
Now some people might be sensitive to oregano. Please do a test patch of the oil on your skin before using.
Keep in mind this is not an essential oil but an infusion. Essential oils are highly concentrated and should never be applied to the skin with out a carrier oil.