Homemade Tortillas are a staple at our house and I am sure they will be at yours too. You can half the recipe or quarter the recipe to fit the amount of tortillas you want for your meal. There is nothing like a fresh tortilla! We will NEVER go back to store bought tortillas again. Not only are these healthy but they taste amazing!
Please see resources below for recipe variations and resources on tortilla presses.
- 2¾ c. Unbleached flour (the unbleached flour makes a difference in taste)
- 1¼ tsp. table salt
- ¼ c. Olive Oil (Olive oil makes a HUGE difference in taste as well)
- 1 c. water
- Mix your flour and salt together in a mixing bowl. Add the Olive Oil and the water into the flour and salt mixture.
- Mix, Mix, Mix.
- Separate the dough into balls about the size of a golf ball.
- When you are through with separating the dough grab your rolling pin and your pan. You can also use an electric griddle.
- Turn on your stove to medium/medium high and put your pan on to begin heating.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough balls with a rolling pin as the pan gets hot.
- Place the rolled dough onto the hot pan to cook. As the tortilla is cooking roll out another ball. Flip your tortilla over when the tortilla gets golden on top and bubbles start to form. Keep an eye on your cooking tortillas to prevent burning! Everyone’s stove burns differently, so you’ll want to play with your heat to see what works best for you.
- Continue to roll out all your dough balls to make your amazing tortillas.
*I like to make a big batch and keep the rest in the fridge for future meals! You will never go back! This is definitely worth your time and effort!
A note from the editor, to our wheat-free friends:
You asked for more resources to find similar recipes that are wheat-free, and here’s a few I found from some of my favorite “real foods” bloggers:
- Low Carb Tortillas from Ditch the Wheat: Made with coconut flour, almond flour, and ground flax seed.
- Homemade Rustic Sprouted Corn Tortillas from Healy Real Food Vegetarian: Made with sprouted corn flour.
- Paleo Flax Tortillas (Gluten/Grain/Starch/Egg/Corn/Soy/Nut Free) from Brittany Angel’s Real Sustenance: Made with flax meal and coconut flour.
And here’s a few made with whole wheat:
- Whole Wheat Sourdough Tortillas from Prairie Homestead: Made with whole wheat flour and sourdough starter.
- Homemade Soaked Tortillas from Weed ‘Em and Reep: Made with whole wheat flour.
And lastly, if you’re looking for a good tortilla press, here are some highly rated ones from Amazon. I hope this is helpful!
- Best: CucinaPro 1443 Flatbread and Tortilla Maker for $79.99
- Better: IMUSA VICTORIA-85008 Cast Iron Tortilla Press Pre-Cured 8-Inch for $23.99
- Good: Norpro Aluminum Tortilla Press for $17.99 (at the time of posting this it’s $12.40)