We’ve all done it, we missed that one day of picking zucchini and the next day they are the size of Texas, what now? Here are a few things that I do when my zucchini is overgrown and no longer has that fresh tender taste of a smaller version.
First, cut the monster into slices and remove the middle part where all the seeds are.
You can now rinse and dry those seeds then use them for planting next year’s zucchini plant.
You want to make sure the seeds you choose have a line around the edges, and are plump and have a darker color. Seeds that are completely smooth, thin and light colored are not ready for replanting.
You can see the seed on the left is ready and the seed on the right needs to be discarded. I dry mine on a dehydrator tray or you could use a screen. It took about two days to completely dry the seeds.
You can now make a cute seed envelope by using an old one as a template. Fill the envelope and store in a cool, dry place until you are ready to plant in the spring.
Keep see our top 10 products in the following section to find the best one for your needs.
We are going to make some zucchini puree and zucchini powder with that pile of slices now.
Both of these methods will preserve your zucchini for future use in baking goods, soups, stews, any cooking dishes, baby food and to be sneaky like I have to in order for my children to eat their veggies.
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI PUREE
- To make the zucchini puree, fill your blender with the zucchini slices and pulse until you get a good moisture flow, then blend to desired consistency.
- I have to puree mine pretty good or else those little prying eyes will see something chunky and “gasp” green.
- Spoon into ice cube trays and freeze.
- Remove and place in a labeled freezer bag.
I have figured out that two of my zucchini cubes are equal to 1/4 cup so I know how much to add to my recipes when baking.
HOW TO POWDER ZUCCHINI
- To make the zucchini powder, place the slices on a dehydrator tray and dehydrate on the vegetable setting or at 135 degrees.
- Dehydrate for 8 hours and then check, they are ready when crisp.
- Fill your blender with the zucchini chips and blend until they become a powder.
- Pour into a glass jar, seal with a tight fitting lid and label.
I like to use the powder in my breakfast foods and baking dishes. It also works great as a thickener in soups and stews.
Your zucchini cubes should last 6-12 months in your freezer and the zucchini powder has a shelf life of 5-10 years depending on how cool you storage area it. Dark and cool make for longer storage.