It’s funny, I’ve always been me, but in the last couple of years I’ve realized quite a few things about myself. Like, spring has always been my favorite season. I always thought it was because of the flowers that start to bloom and everything turns green. Not that that hurts, but I’ve realized that sun + warm weather = happy me.
I’ve also realized that I like color. Lots of color. Color is another thing that makes me happy. And I like it when colors are together that make each other stand out. That’s one of the reasons I fell in love with this beautiful Sweet Potato, Sausage and Spinach Hash. I love the contrasting orange and green sprinkled with brown and yellow. It just makes me happy. And to top off it off, it’s delicious! That makes me happy, too.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 apple, diced (you could peel the apple, but you don’t have to)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 mild Italian sausages, removed from casing (I used turkey)
- 2 to 3 large cups of baby spinach
- 1/3 cup sweet yellow onion, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large nonstick skillet heat coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Once heated, add diced sweet potato, onion and apple.
- Add a pinch or two of sea salt and cinnamon to the pan.
- Cook sweet potato, onion and apple, stirring often so not to burn, until cooked and softened. I like my sweet potatoes slightly browned.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Crumble sausage into the pan and cook until no longer pink and completely cooked.
- Add spinach to the skillet and cook until the spinach is wilted – about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Once spinach is cooked add the sweet potato apple mixture to pan and stir to combine all.