Hello everyone! I’m Jennifer from Jenni Rain Cloud! I’m thrilled to be a guest blogger on Homegrown and Healthy! Like many of you reading this I wear a lot of hats. I’m a mother, a wife, a cat whisperer, a rain dancer, a flower child, a lava lamp junkie and a mad scientist with homemade skin care! That’s me in a nutshell, oh and yes, I like to quote Austin Powers.
I am on a mission to rid my house of toxins. This journey of mine began when I started getting very leery of the skin care industry. I have been an Aesthetician for over 10 years and have been using and selling professional lines of skin care until about four years ago. I realized that even if a product is found in a high end salon or claims to be “natural” it most likely couldn’t be further from actually being good for your skin. The laundry list of harmful ingredients that are put in skin care is staggering. I won’t bore you with statistics and hard to pronounce ingredients but this is serious. I wanted to simplify what I was doing to my skin and I wanted to use the most pure ingredients I could find. I started to formulate my recipes and it quickly led to revamping almost everything my family and I use!
So today, I wanted to share with you a simple recipe for vapor rub! Unlike Mentholatum, this recipe contains beeswax, not petroleum. If you are like me, you often have runny noses dripping around your house, not to mention fall’s allergies are just around the corner! This recipe is so nourishing for the skin while also being a powerful decongestant. Essential oils are potent and deliver great results without the side effects and toxic ingredients.
I prefer to use coconut oil as the base of this salve due to the extremely healing powers of coconut oil. It’s great for over blown sore noses! If you don’t have coconut oil and need to make this ASAP, feel free to use grapeseed, olive, sweet almond or jojoba oil.
- PEPPERMINT- Breaks up congestion. relieves headaches, antibacterial, antiviral
- EUCALYPTUS- Breaks up congestion. anti fungal, antibacterial
- TEA TREE- Strongly anti fungal, anti microbial and great for fighting infections
- LAVENDER- Eases pain. anti fungal, helps with sinusitis
This is an easy recipe to do-so get your stove top hot and let’s get started!
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil (olive oil, jojoba, grapeseed oil etc. will also work)
- 2 TBSP Beeswax pastilles
- 30 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops Peppermint essential oil
- 20 drops Tea Tree essential oil (optional)
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil (optional
- Once beeswax and coconut oil are melted, remove double boiler from heat and add essential oils.
- While the mixture is still liquid, pour in a 4 ounce jar. You will have about an ounce left over.
- A lip balm tube, tin or jar is great for the excess so you can take it on the go!
- The mixture will not take long to harden but if you want to speed up the process you can put your jar in the fridge.
- Don’t forget to use this salve on your temples for headaches and even on sore muscles for pain relief!
*Not only do you have a perfect vapor rub but now you can make the mixture again and use different oils to create a healthy lip balm! The possibilities are endless-Get Creative!
Thanks for reading my post! I hope you visit me soon at Jenni Rain Cloud!