This post is sponsored by Green Sisterhood but the opinion is of my own.
After such a long, difficult winter it’s been amazing falling asleep with a fan blowing and the windows open, serenaded by the songs of insects; mornings are damp and dewy and birds greet us as early as we can rise to meet them. At the risk of sounding overly sentimental, I have been waiting for this summer for a long, long time.
I write this at the end of a busy weekend, a three-day-long marathon of BBQing and picnicking, birthday parties and anniversary celebrations, spending time with new and old friends, playing in sandboxes and jumping on trampolines. We’re all in good spirits, exercised and invigorated and ready to start it all over again in just a few days.
So this seems like just the right time to talk about our Summer Bucket List, a little project that we’ve been working on for weeks. I want to preemptively beat the summer “I’m bored”s head on and give the kids a summer full of experiences that are worth remembering.
Although it’s a work in progress, I’ll be sharing my current list with you in it’s entirety — due to the length of this post I need to break it up.. there’s quite a bit! I’ll be posting updates on my Instagram account all summer long. There’s one thing that all of our Summer To-Dos have in common: fresh air and sunshine.
So this is a great time to announce my month-long ambassadorship with Goddess Garden Organics, an organic line of mineral sunscreens that were made by a mom to help protect her baby from the hundreds of chemicals that you can find in traditional, mainstream sunscreens.
In 2004, Nova Covington created her first “Goddess Garden” product for her daughter Paige, the inspiration for Goddess Garden. As an infant, Paige was allergic to most body care products because of her sensitive skin.
Nova soon discovered that most body care products contain hundreds of questionable chemicals. Without any effective, natural alternatives available, Nova began to formulate a line of safe and sensitive products that she felt confident using on her daughters.
Now, Goddess Garden has become the fastest growing natural sunscreen brand in the US.
If you’re confused by all of the sunscreen options out there, then here’s a little overview from Goddess Garden:
Mineral vs Chemical Sunscreens – The Basics
- Do not absorb into skin
- Acts as a mirror by reflecting UV rays with zinc and/or titanium
- Zinc oxide protects against the full range of UVA and UVB rays
- Do not degrade when they are exposed to UV rays
- Effective immediately after application
- Absorb into skin, and consequently the bloodstream
- Works by absorbing UV rays and dissipate the energy as lower, less harmful energy rays
- Some ingredients degrade when exposed to UV rays
- Must wait about 20 minutes for ingredients to become effective application
Minerals REFLECT, Chemicals ABSORB!
The problems with Chemicals
Chemical sunscreens are in most sunscreen products on the market, toxins that are absorbed into the bloodstream which can have drastic consequences.
If you’re using conventional sunscreen then you’re putting chemicals on your skin like OXYBENZONE, one of the worst offenders. It’s been increasingly linked to early puberty in girls, low sperm count and male infertility, and an increase in hormone-related cancers in both men and women. [Source]
But there’s more to a good product than simply omitting the bad, you know? So here’s a bit more about what makes Goddess Garden so great!
- All of their products are certified organic.
- Their formulator has a background in food science, so they formulate their sunscreen with a “natural food” approach.
- Their entire line of sunscreens uses only zinc and titanium as their active ingredients.
- They offer the only all mineral sunscreen in a continuous spray– super helpful for applying to squirmy kids!
- All of their products are reef safe and biodegradable.
- Unlike a lot of natural sunscreens, this applies sheer.
- All packaging is recyclable.
When I work with a brand I want to make sure that you have as many options as possible to try them out as well, so use this link to get a free 1 oz tube or a free sample pack (depending on when you get there). Plus, between now and July 30, go to their website and use code #SunSafeGoddess for 20% off your order!