Have you ever tried Laughing Giraffe’s macaroons? I absolutely love those little treats. They are perfect for a quick energy boost before a workout. Raw macaroons can be quite filling and give long-lasting energy, due to the amount of flaked coconut and all those good fats that the coconut oil provides. A tasty treat that is good for you? Who could resist the opportunity to attempt making these? Not me.
The ingredients are so simple that I thought “Why not try to make some at home?” I do like my treats like this to be a little less sweet. Since the Laughing Giraffe’s version was WAY too sweet for my taste, I cut the sweetness down quite a bit.
Now if you want to try experimenting with other flavors, go for it! I use this recipe as a base and go from there.
Here are some ideas that you could play around with:
- Infuse the honey with 1 tablespoon of lavender.
- Add in 1 tsp. of lemon or orange zest.
- Add in dark chocolate chips or white chocolate chips.
- Add in 1/4 cup of raw cacao powder.
- Add in 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger.
- Add in dehydrated fruits (cranberries, raisins, apples, mango etc..)
- Mix up the nut variety to compliment other additions. For instance cranberry, white chocolate, macadamia nut.
- Try different spice blends.
- Add in 1 tsp rose-water, pistachio bits and a touch of cardamom.
- Add in bacon pieces and use maple syrup instead of honey.
- Use peanuts and a bit of thick jam for a PB&J ball.
As you can see the possibilities are endless! Have fun making these little pieces of joy.