I have this little purple tomatillo plant that a friend of mine gifted me. Unfortunately, I think I planted it too late. I have not yet received any fruits so far. Before my friend moved away she let me have all the purple tomatillos I could take. That was such a nice thing to do because I was a little bummed that I might not get the chance to taste these little beauties.
Last night my family and I decided to be a bit relaxed with our ‘no grain’ diet. I thought the purple tomatillos would go perfect with taco’s. Oh and I must say they were! Instead of making a salsa (which would be delicious), I went the route of roasting the chicken in with the little beauties.
- Chicken Roasted with Purple Tomtillos
- 1 lb. Free Range Chicken Breast
- 10 small Purple Tomatillos
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- ½ Onion
- 6 sprigs of Fresh Cilantro
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- ½ lime juiced
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Cumin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a dutch oven combine chopped tomatillos, sliced garlic cloves, chopped onion, chopped cilantro, lime juice and chicken broth. Season the chicken with the cumin and sea salt on both sides. Place the chicken on top of the tomatillo mixture. Bake in the oven uncovered for 30-40 min or until the chicken is fully cooked.
I shredded the chicken for the taco’s. Homemade corn tortilla shells (are the best when fried in coconut oil), topped with the chicken, field greens, sour cream (or in my case greek yogurt) and minced hot peppers with a slice of lime on the side. Now that is what I call a taco!!! For a kid version make chips with the corn tortillas and omit the hot peppers.
Please let me know if you want or did make this recipe! I love feedback. Did you try it a little different? I would love to hear all about it. Thank you and happy eating!