What do you do when it’s the middle of January and you’re really longing for the days of warm weather? (Other than mope around and whine?) Whip up some meals that remind you of summer. After all, as most of my foodie friends like to rub in my face, there are places very close to us that are enjoying tropical bounties like my summer favorites. Avocados, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Corn, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Grapefruit, Mushrooms, Okra, Onions, Oranges, Potatoes, Radishes, Squash, Strawberries, Tomatoes Florida sounds pretty nice this time of year, huh? Adapted from the original recipe from the Fresh From Florida: Florida Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salsa recipe
- 4 ears corn, roasted and kernels removed from the cob
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- or 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
- ½ cup red onion, chopped fine
- ½ cup bell pepper, chopped fine
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, hand torn
- 1 lime, juiced (plus more if desired)
- 1 teaspoon powdered cumin
- sea salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper or hot sauce.
I decided that Floridians shouldn’t have all of the fun, so I wanted to share this Florida inspired recipe that’ll ensure that your morning starts off on the right note. For real. Once you have the salsa made (and I like to make mine a day or two beforehand and let it sit so all of the flavors can mix together) this breakfast is no more complicated than frying up an egg and lightly toasting a tortilla. I recommend that you leave the yolks gooey and runny and make the tortillas yourself. Then you can even use a cookie cutter or a glass to cut them into egg-sized portions, just perfect for serving! After you lightly heat the tortilla, top with a generous mound of avocado, fresh salsa and your gooey egg. Cut open and enjoy! For more great ideas using these yummy ingredients, like Fresh From Florida on Facebook or follow on Twitter.
Now it’s your turn.. what are your favorite recipes that feature avocados, corn and tomatoes? Leave your links and ideas in the comments!