This is my favorite breakfast-y muffin recipe. You know, some muffins are more decadent, some more snack-y, some more after-dinner-y… These are breakfast in a muffin. And almost healthy! They have good things for you in them!! My first post of this recipe ended up with purple muffins. And I talk lots about my amazing Grandma. Check it out here! This is the non-purple version.
- 1½ cups self-raising flour (or plain flour plus 1½ tsp baking powder)
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ cup fresh or frozen berries
- granola for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.Grease or line a muffin tin. (12 cup or large 6 cup)
- Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder (if using) into a bowl. Whisk in the oats. Whisk together the brown sugar, yogurt, vanilla, oil and eggs. Stir gently into the flour mixture, mixing just till combined. Gently fold in the berries. Spoon into the prepared muffin tin. Granola over the tops.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until well risen and golden. Let cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before turning out to cool completely.
Yogurt, oats, berries, granola… It’s a bowl of breakfast in a muffin! I love these, I could eat them for breakfast for a week. The Geologist loves it when I make a batch just for him to take to work too… Honestly, I tried to make a healthy batch of these. Less sugar, half wheat flour, more yogurt instead of oil… They were gross. Sometimes things just need to be yummy!!
Oh, and I forgot to use self-raising flour. Or add baking powder. And they still rose! Ha! But really, follow the recipe and they’re fabulous. Tall, fluffy, soft, and delicious. Breakfast on the go!